Sunday, February 24, 2013

Walking Targets

So...we here in the Pueblo Colorado Stake have the AWESOME opportunity to go to a mission prep class every other week taught by some of the most inspirational, Gospel-minded, Christ-like people I have ever met! Our very first class was last month and it was taught by Brother Ralph Downey-one of my personal heroes! Take it from me ladies and gentlenman-This man is INCREDIBLE. He and his wife have completely changed me by their faithful and Christ-like examples. Anyways, the particular class to which I am refering-our first one-Brother Downey was speaking to us about how the Adeversary heightens his attack on us as we make the desicion to serve a mission and as we carry out the steps to get there. He likened it to a hunting trip- where suddenly all the game are walking around with large red targets. We, brothers and sisters, are the game, and Satan is the hunter. As we prepare to serve a mission and make temple covenants the target on our chest gets bigger and brighter, and the value that Satan sets on bringing us down increases exponentially. I am here to testify of this truth. I didnt't feel it when I decided to serve a mission, or when I submitted my papers, not even when I got my call. But the night that I met with my stake president to get my temple reccomend, I felt it. THat moment right after he signed it and gave it to me was a Perfect moment. I felt peace and pure joy. It was the best I can remember ever feeling about myself. But as I pulled out of the parking lot of the church - it hit me like a tidal wave. I felt as if every negative thing that could happen-happened. Everything from someone cutting me off in trafic to losing my debit card at the atm in the middle of the night, my mom struggling to find a doctor who would perform the neurosurgery required to save her life a second time... I found myself, more than once, driving down the road, crying, and praying that I could focus on the things that were right. Needless to say, it has been a stressful few weeks, but as I draw nearer and nearer to my report date, and nearer still to my temple date, I find myself continually reminded of the Lord's tender mericies, and I gain a greater sense of peace. I know that what I am doing is exactly right for me at this time in my life, and nothing could feel more fulfilling. So, to those who read this, whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever you are going through, I can promise you with total assurety that Heavenly Father knows you. He loves you. And you CAN do this. It's a narrow path, but it is a straight one. Steadfast and unchanging. And you are not alone. I have such joy in the Gospel. What a glorious gift we have been given0to have the True Gospel of Jesus Christ upon the earth today. As I write this I am reminded of a scripture-my very favorite all through high school. D&C 58:2-42 For verily I say unto you, blessed is he that keepeth my commandments, whether in life or in death; and he that is faithful in tribulation, the reward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven. 3 Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation. 4 For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment